The salad is based off pictures and recipes I’ve seen circulating around Pinterest – it’s a savory fruit salad that light and refreshing. The chicken is the product of my first trip to Benihana. I loved their simple, buttery chicken so much I had to try making some of my own. Anyway I hope you enjoy!
Citrus Summer Salad and Simple Seared Chicken
Citrus Summer Salad
5 Slices Red Onion
½ Beefsteak Tomato
4 Sprigs Cilantro
- Peel orange and grape fruit – removing the rind and pith. Cut into sections according to the veins of the fruits then cut sections in half.
- Remove the pit from the mango and chop into bite size cubes. I left the skin on, but feel free to remove it.
- Cut five circular slices from one red onion then cut those in half – should look like rainbows.
- Cut the avocado in half – moving around the pit. Carefully twist each side until one frees itself from the pit. To remove the pit from the other side very carefully stab your knife into the pit and twist until it comes free from the avocado. Chop the avocado into bite size cubes.
- Remove the cilantro leaves from their sprigs and bunch together. Make sure the leaves are tightly packed and begin chopping, starting at one end of the bunch and moving to the other. When finished, cilantro should be in very small to fine pieces.
- Add all the fruits and cilantro to a bowl and mix together.
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 Packet Goya Salad & Vegetable Seasoning
- In a small bowl or cup whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and seasoning
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix together; serves around three to four people.
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Begin heating up butter in a pan on medium/high heat.
- Horizontally halve (like a hamburger bun) chicken breasts.
- Rub onion powder, salt and pepper into the meat.
- Add the chicken to the pan, searing on both sides for about five minutes each.
- Cover the chicken with a lid and cook through.
- Serves around three to four people.